ottawa-metal.com Forum Index

<  Gear Talk  ~  drummers - show us your kits

Metaldad
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
That kick looks massive!
tormentinfire
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Resident troll Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 5005 Location: East Germany
Everyone knows the camera adds a few inches.
GOATVOMIT
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote

Pearl Masters Premium 6 ply birch kit

12x10"tom
14x12"tom
16x16"floor tom
18x16"floor tom
20x 18" bass drum
14x5" pearl free floating maple snare 6 ply

18" Vintage zildjian crash
18" Sabian crash ride
14" Sabian original high hats
18" Zildjian oriental trash
22" K Custom high definition ride (the stick definition is not as "high" as the name would suggest)

Pearl eliminator high hat stand
Pearl Demon Drive double pedal

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Bet that sounds impressive! Lotís of attack eh! What heads?

Always loved the idea of Pearls floating snares. Do you only have the one shell or do you swap out for other materials as designed?

Iím now seeing the benefits of the old Pearl Racks. That thing folds up for easy transport eh. I should never have gone with the big chrome sections with feet. Live and learnÖ

How do you like the DD? Is it everything it was supposed to be in a direct drive? I wish Pearl would come out with a matching DD High hat stand.
tormentinfire
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
GOATVOMIT wrote:

Is that the same kit as on your myspace recordings? Sounds fucking awesome.

Your stuff is really impressive - gloomy depressive music that's well written AND produced, imagine that. This would be my answer to the "lo-fi is for atmosphere" camp, as I think this kind of music would be way more effective if it didn't always sound like such ass. If you recorded that yourself, you got skillz.
GOATVOMIT
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
Metaldad wrote:
Bet that sounds impressive! Lotís of attack eh! What heads?

Always loved the idea of Pearls floating snares. Do you only have the one shell or do you swap out for other materials as designed?

Iím now seeing the benefits of the old Pearl Racks. That thing folds up for easy transport eh. I should never have gone with the big chrome sections with feet. Live and learnÖ

How do you like the DD? Is it everything it was supposed to be in a direct drive? I wish Pearl would come out with a matching DD High hat stand.

For heads, I am using the pin stripes on the toms eq3 on the bass drum and the snare has an evans HD dry batter on it. Not really diggin the pin-stripes to tell the truth, I prefer the evans EC2.

For the snare I only have the one shell, I want to get one of the brass shells but I want the deeper one so I will most likely end up just replacing the snare I have now with a nice brass one (unless I can just order longer lugs and casings and that is still more of a savings than buying a whole new snare)

As for the demon drive, I never thought it would make that much of a difference switching from a chain drive to a direct drive. It's really taking a while for me to get comfortable on the DD's, there have been more than a few times where I was ready to throw it out the fuckin window and just put my DW9002 back on. But the amount of tweak combinations you can do with this is insane, and every time I try something new the pedal response better. But all in all I have a big love hate relationship with this pedal. But it is smoother and responds better than any pedal I have tried.

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
tormentinfire wrote:
GOATVOMIT wrote:

Is that the same kit as on your myspace recordings? Sounds fucking awesome.

Your stuff is really impressive - gloomy depressive music that's well written AND produced, imagine that. This would be my answer to the "lo-fi is for atmosphere" camp, as I think this kind of music would be way more effective if it didn't always sound like such ass. If you recorded that yourself, you got skillz.

If you are referring to the link in my sig, then no that is not my kit. I used a drum machine for those recordings. At the time I had not the means to record an acoustic kit.

And I agree with the "lo-fi" statement, people who purposely make their music sound bad should rot in the hells of death.

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
That's some skillful drum machine programming.
descending
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 07 Feb 2007 Posts: 666 Location: mechanicsville
Metaldad wrote:

i have the same rack
and there's pros and cons with it...
Pros - yeah it does fold down nicely, which makes setting up for gigging
its the cheapest rack out there

cons - you can't adjust the height at all - i've seen some drummers who've sawed it down to make it shorter, but thats pretty permanent
its not the nicest looking rack..very functional, but doesnt look as nice as the newer pearl icon racks

Opium Winter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
carnada
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
this is my drummer's kit