ottawa-metal.com Forum Index

<  Off-Topic  ~  Ottawa-Metal.com

descending
Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 07 Feb 2007 Posts: 666 Location: mechanicsville
so what do you guys think? should i keep this site up or should i look into retiring it when my domain expires?

the fun discussions have all moved away, mostly people just check the site for the local shows

i'm not a web dev in the slightest so a significant revamp of the site would be hard unless somebody wants to help

Opium Winter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SimF91
Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
Hey!

I would definitely vote to keep this site active. Although I don't post very often, I check the local shows listings very regularly. I also refer my friends to the site to do the same to keep up with who's coming to town. It's also a great place to keep up with what's happening in the Ottawa metal scene for those of us who don't have Facebook Wink. Though I do agree that it seems like the forums are less active these days than they were a while ago.

That being said, I'm sure many people would be sad to see this site kick the bucket.

Cheers,

Simon \m/ (><) \m/
descending
Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
would it be just as useful to you if it was a show listing page than a discussion forum?

Opium Winter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SimF91
Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
Honestly, it probably would be. I do like the idea of the discussion forum, but I am also guilty of not posting very often, so not sure how beneficial it would be to keep all the other forum sections active? The classifieds are pretty cool though, namely the black market and musicians needed sections. Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts.
fumigate
Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
i agree no harm (besides some coin) to just let it sit as an info page...facebook will die eventually...

WinterSon
Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
descending wrote:
would it be just as useful to you if it was a show listing page than a discussion forum?

certainly be better than nothing I guess.

I prefer forums but it's true the traffic here is basically non-existent at this point
descending
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
so trying to keep things simple and cheap for me

if i switched things up for a wordpress site with a list of shows on it (and have the promoters submit their show info to me direct) - that would probably do the trick then?

this version of PHPBB is out of date and i'll eventually get to the point of having to upgrade it or get rid of it

Opium Winter
fumigate
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
as long as you can keep the domain, have comments sections throughout,, and classifieds section that should work yea.

jesusbathe
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
How would promoters go about getting in touch with you? Ottawa is pretty unique in that it has something like this. I find it sad that no one uses it to bolster the scene.
descending
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
i don't know.. the idea i have floating in my head is i would give them their own access to create an account so they can publish their own shoes? i don't charge for anything that advances the ottawa metal scene, i have no desire to make money off of this site, but i think its too valuable to just let expire

Opium Winter
PCMK40oz
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Nov 2009 Posts: 2584 Location: The Berlin Ballsack
thread sucks