ottawa-metal.com Forum Index

<  Gear Talk  ~  Dont know how to power my vox wah

iamok
Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
just bought a used vox wah pedal, nut a have no idea how to power the mo fo. i Googled, says it runs on a 9 volt, but after opening her up i cant find a place to connect one. there's a small single grey cable that comes out of the pedal, but it only has one little end thing( not 2 like other pedals to connect to a 9 volt) i havnt tried an ac/dc adapter dont wanna blow her up.... thanks.

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Pics would be helpful.

Also, its cool to use an adaptor...try to use the right one but if not then it wont blow up, it just wont work.

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Resident troll Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 5005 Location: East Germany
kamanda wrote:

Also, its cool to use an adaptor...try to use the right one but if not then it wont blow up, it just wont work.

No. Bad idea. If you use an adapter with the wrong polarity, and the pedal doesn't have any protection against that, pedal go bye bye. Use an adapter with not enough voltage or current, and it may very well work - and then catch fire, melt, and burn down your house because you left it plugged in.

Somewhere on the pedal it should show the polarity you need with a graphic: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/AC_adaptor_polarity.png/800px-AC_adaptor_polarity.png (guitar pedals are typically center negative), as well as the current (in mA or milliamps).

The adapter needs to be the right polarity, provide the right amount of voltage (9V in this case, but it can be 5-10% more...9.6-10V would probably be ok for instance), and the same amount of current as the wah pedal or MORE (if the pedal takes 200mA, and your adapter is 1000mA, that's fine).

Don't trust the douche at the guitar store to give you the right one unless you like risking a fire or breaking the pedal.

Pics would indeed help too.
iamok
Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
tormentinfire wrote:
kamanda wrote:

No. Bad idea. If you use an adapter with the wrong polarity, and the pedal doesn't have any protection against that, pedal go bye bye. Use an adapter with not enough voltage or current, and it may very well work - and then catch fire, melt, and burn down your house because you left it plugged in.

Somewhere on the pedal it should show the polarity you need with a graphic: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/AC_adaptor_polarity.png/800px-AC_adaptor_polarity.png (guitar pedals are typically center negative), as well as the current (in mA or milliamps).

The adapter needs to be the right polarity, provide the right amount of voltage (9V in this case, but it can be 5-10% more...9.6-10V would probably be ok for instance), and the same amount of current as the wah pedal or MORE (if the pedal takes 200mA, and your adapter is 1000mA, that's fine).

Don't trust the douche at the guitar store to give you the right one unless you like risking a fire or breaking the pedal.

Pics would indeed help too.

I figured out that the extra cable was added in so it would work with an adapter. Since it was a mod it, and the pedal originally only worked with a battery, It does not say anything about the type of adapter is uses. do not know how to put in pics.....

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'd try a dc adapter, center negative, 9V, and at least 500mA or higher. One of the standard boss ones might be fine (Boss PSA120S I believe). If you're leaving it plugged in make sure the adapter doesn't get too hot just in case.

Also, it's 2010, figure out a way to get a picture up on the intertubes, grandma.
kamanda
Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
TIF: good call. I know better than that.

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
Some of us learn the hard way. I fried a metal zone once using a center positive adapter. Surprised
descending
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 07 Feb 2007 Posts: 666 Location: mechanicsville
its funny how you went from being the resident troll to the guy-who-knows-a-lot-of-stuff

Opium Winter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
iamok
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
the pedal is pretty old, and the dc input is not built in, there's a little cable converter that plugs into where a 9 volt would go so you can us a dc adapter instead. I've got myself a boss ac/ dc adapter, its 9 volts 250m, would that work? no where on the wah pedal does it say polarity or how many ms it runs on, as it is hella old.

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
At this point you have no other option than to just try it. If it works, make sure the adapter doesn't get too hot, but 250ma should be plenty for a wah pedal.
iamok
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I'll try running it through my boss pedal board, it uses the boss adapter.