ottawa-metal.com Forum Index
Author Message

<  Gear Talk  ~  The universal bass

iamok
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 23 May 2010 Posts: 48
I'm looking to get myself a second bass, I already have an ltd esp with emgs so you can probably see that its geared towards metal. I find that it is not very good for funk and blues, which i enjoy playing.

For my second bass im looking for something that I can play funk and jazz with, all the slapping and popping, and still be able to play some solid metal.

i don't have any price range in particular, anything is fine as long as it isn't extremely expensive.

thanks.

_________________
I don't just embrace insanity, I take it to bed.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
demonic spitfire
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 177 Location: Gatineau
fender jazz bass is all you need.
View user's profile Send private message
tormentinfire
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Resident troll Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 5005 Location: East Germany
Why is it not very good for funk or blues? I doubt you're anywhere near good enough to justify buying a bass for a particular style. How about just practice with what you have until you'll actually be able to discern what would make a bass more fitting to those styles rather than going by what "x" used on "y".

I guaran-fucking-tee you your bass is just fine for funk, blues, slapping, popping, jerking, and whatever else you kids are into these days. There's nothing magical about a Fender that will make you better at it just by having one in your hands. I know at your age, you think throwing money at something will actually help you achieve a goal, but listen to what your old man probably says and practice, practice, practice.

I know that sounds really smarmy but there's no way to tell a kid that he's putting the cart before the horse, as all kids do, without sounding like a douche.

If you're actually a good blues/funk/jazz bassist, then carry on.
View user's profile Send private message
iamok
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 23 May 2010 Posts: 48
tormentinfire wrote:
Why is it not very good for funk or blues? I doubt you're anywhere near good enough to justify buying a bass for a particular style. How about just practice with what you have until you'll actually be able to discern what would make a bass more fitting to those styles rather than going by what "x" used on "y".

I guaran-fucking-tee you your bass is just fine for funk, blues, slapping, popping, jerking, and whatever else you kids are into these days. There's nothing magical about a Fender that will make you better at it just by having one in your hands. I know at your age, you think throwing money at something will actually help you achieve a goal, but listen to what your old man probably says and practice, practice, practice.

I know that sounds really smarmy but there's no way to tell a kid that he's putting the cart before the horse, as all kids do, without sounding like a douche.

If you're actually a good blues/funk/jazz bassist, then carry on.


the second bass is for performance purposes, so i don't have to stop and tune between songs. My bass is does a good job for funk and blues, it's just that since I need/reaally want, more so want, a second bass anyway i thought i might look into it a bit more .Thanks for the input though.

_________________
I don't just embrace insanity, I take it to bed.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
tormentinfire
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Resident troll Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 5005 Location: East Germany
Fair enough. I just remember wanting a Strat so I could sound just like that guy from blink182 so I thought that might be what's going on here.
View user's profile Send private message
iamok
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 23 May 2010 Posts: 48
tormentinfire wrote:
Fair enough. I just remember wanting a Strat so I could sound just like that guy from blink182 so I thought that might be what's going on here.


hahaha, i think everyone goes through that stage, usually about 2 months into playing. My parents would kill me if I uselessly spent money, of course I'll be buying a used bass, never purchased any music equipment new.

_________________
I don't just embrace insanity, I take it to bed.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
descending
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 07 Feb 2007 Posts: 666 Location: mechanicsville
on the other side - a certain level of gear is necessary

i had a set of mid-range gibraltr dbl bass pedals that i got for christmas.. i thought i was doing ok
but then i moved to my iron cobras and noticed an immediate improvement

_________________
-=blackwidowpromotions=-

Opium Winter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
iamok
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 23 May 2010 Posts: 48
descending wrote:
on the other side - a certain level of gear is necessary

i had a set of mid-range gibraltr dbl bass pedals that i got for christmas.. i thought i was doing ok
but then i moved to my iron cobras and noticed an immediate improvement


hell even the brand of strings make a difference.

_________________
I don't just embrace insanity, I take it to bed.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ogdeathgrind
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Oct 2008 Posts: 2337 Location: http://ogdg.proboards.com
all you need: http://www.break.com/index/ballon-bass-and-box-jam.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SomethingUnnamed
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Apr 2007 Posts: 91 Location: Gatineau
tormentinfire wrote:
Why is it not very good for funk or blues? I doubt you're anywhere near good enough to justify buying a bass for a particular style. How about just practice with what you have until you'll actually be able to discern what would make a bass more fitting to those styles rather than going by what "x" used on "y".

I guaran-fucking-tee you your bass is just fine for funk, blues, slapping, popping, jerking, and whatever else you kids are into these days. There's nothing magical about a Fender that will make you better at it just by having one in your hands. I know at your age, you think throwing money at something will actually help you achieve a goal, but listen to what your old man probably says and practice, practice, practice.

I know that sounds really smarmy but there's no way to tell a kid that he's putting the cart before the horse, as all kids do, without sounding like a douche.

If you're actually a good blues/funk/jazz bassist, then carry on.


I have to dissagree with this one. I've owned a ton of guitars and I could always pull off the same thing with just about any electric, 6 or 7 string, etc, no problem. But I've owned 4 different basses, and a few others I've played off and on, and they're all drastically different in sound and the way it's played in order to keep the same "dynamics". The shape and size of the neck, how well it was setup, what wood it was made of, string spacing, the weight of the instrument, what kind of bridge is on it, etc etc, it all makes a difference. If all you're going to do is mash out notes as fast as possible, or squash your playing with a compressor or distortion, then sure, judge it the same way you would a guitar, but they're otherwise very different from eachother. (In my oppinion, at least.)

_________________
www.signsofchaos.ca
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tormentinfire
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Resident troll Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 5005 Location: East Germany
I didn't say there was no difference, I said that the difference would be negligible for someone who's just starting to learn a particular style. If they haven't developed the technique first, how would they know what it is about a bass that makes said style easier to play? One will be able to make a more informed decision once those prerequisites are fulfilled.

Turns out he wasn't a stupid noob, so it's all pretty moot.
View user's profile Send private message
iamok
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 23 May 2010 Posts: 48
tormentinfire wrote:
I didn't say there was no difference, I said that the difference would be negligible for someone who's just starting to learn a particular style. If they haven't developed the technique first, how would they know what it is about a bass that makes said style easier to play? One will be able to make a more informed decision once those prerequisites are fulfilled.

Turns out he wasn't a stupid noob, so it's all pretty moot.



um.... thank you?

_________________
I don't just embrace insanity, I take it to bed.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
tormentinfire
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Resident troll Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 5005 Location: East Germany
Sure, why not!
View user's profile Send private message
Bloodline
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Aug 2008 Posts: 119 Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Warwick Corvette. Cool
View user's profile Send private message
graemeken
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Dec 2010 Posts: 7
Musicman Stingray's are great basses. So are their Bongo basses too, although they are on the expensive side.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger

Display posts from previous:  

All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic

Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum