ottawa-metal.com Forum Index

<  Gear Talk  ~  The universal bass

iamok
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking to get myself a second bass, I already have an ltd esp with emgs so you can probably see that its geared towards metal. I find that it is not very good for funk and blues, which i enjoy playing.

For my second bass im looking for something that I can play funk and jazz with, all the slapping and popping, and still be able to play some solid metal.

i don't have any price range in particular, anything is fine as long as it isn't extremely expensive.

thanks.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
fender jazz bass is all you need.
tormentinfire
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Resident troll Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 5005 Location: East Germany
Why is it not very good for funk or blues? I doubt you're anywhere near good enough to justify buying a bass for a particular style. How about just practice with what you have until you'll actually be able to discern what would make a bass more fitting to those styles rather than going by what "x" used on "y".

I guaran-fucking-tee you your bass is just fine for funk, blues, slapping, popping, jerking, and whatever else you kids are into these days. There's nothing magical about a Fender that will make you better at it just by having one in your hands. I know at your age, you think throwing money at something will actually help you achieve a goal, but listen to what your old man probably says and practice, practice, practice.

I know that sounds really smarmy but there's no way to tell a kid that he's putting the cart before the horse, as all kids do, without sounding like a douche.

If you're actually a good blues/funk/jazz bassist, then carry on.
iamok
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
tormentinfire wrote:
Why is it not very good for funk or blues? I doubt you're anywhere near good enough to justify buying a bass for a particular style. How about just practice with what you have until you'll actually be able to discern what would make a bass more fitting to those styles rather than going by what "x" used on "y".

I guaran-fucking-tee you your bass is just fine for funk, blues, slapping, popping, jerking, and whatever else you kids are into these days. There's nothing magical about a Fender that will make you better at it just by having one in your hands. I know at your age, you think throwing money at something will actually help you achieve a goal, but listen to what your old man probably says and practice, practice, practice.

I know that sounds really smarmy but there's no way to tell a kid that he's putting the cart before the horse, as all kids do, without sounding like a douche.

the second bass is for performance purposes, so i don't have to stop and tune between songs. My bass is does a good job for funk and blues, it's just that since I need/reaally want, more so want, a second bass anyway i thought i might look into it a bit more .Thanks for the input though.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough. I just remember wanting a Strat so I could sound just like that guy from blink182 so I thought that might be what's going on here.
iamok
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
tormentinfire wrote:
Fair enough. I just remember wanting a Strat so I could sound just like that guy from blink182 so I thought that might be what's going on here.

hahaha, i think everyone goes through that stage, usually about 2 months into playing. My parents would kill me if I uselessly spent money, of course I'll be buying a used bass, never purchased any music equipment new.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 07 Feb 2007 Posts: 666 Location: mechanicsville
on the other side - a certain level of gear is necessary

i had a set of mid-range gibraltr dbl bass pedals that i got for christmas.. i thought i was doing ok
but then i moved to my iron cobras and noticed an immediate improvement

Opium Winter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
iamok
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
descending wrote:
on the other side - a certain level of gear is necessary

i had a set of mid-range gibraltr dbl bass pedals that i got for christmas.. i thought i was doing ok
but then i moved to my iron cobras and noticed an immediate improvement

hell even the brand of strings make a difference.

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Oct 2008 Posts: 2337 Location: http://ogdg.proboards.com
all you need: http://www.break.com/index/ballon-bass-and-box-jam.html
SomethingUnnamed
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
tormentinfire wrote:

I have to dissagree with this one. I've owned a ton of guitars and I could always pull off the same thing with just about any electric, 6 or 7 string, etc, no problem. But I've owned 4 different basses, and a few others I've played off and on, and they're all drastically different in sound and the way it's played in order to keep the same "dynamics". The shape and size of the neck, how well it was setup, what wood it was made of, string spacing, the weight of the instrument, what kind of bridge is on it, etc etc, it all makes a difference. If all you're going to do is mash out notes as fast as possible, or squash your playing with a compressor or distortion, then sure, judge it the same way you would a guitar, but they're otherwise very different from eachother. (In my oppinion, at least.)

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I didn't say there was no difference, I said that the difference would be negligible for someone who's just starting to learn a particular style. If they haven't developed the technique first, how would they know what it is about a bass that makes said style easier to play? One will be able to make a more informed decision once those prerequisites are fulfilled.

Turns out he wasn't a stupid noob, so it's all pretty moot.
iamok
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
tormentinfire wrote:
I didn't say there was no difference, I said that the difference would be negligible for someone who's just starting to learn a particular style. If they haven't developed the technique first, how would they know what it is about a bass that makes said style easier to play? One will be able to make a more informed decision once those prerequisites are fulfilled.

Turns out he wasn't a stupid noob, so it's all pretty moot.

um.... thank you?

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Sure, why not!
Bloodline
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
Warwick Corvette. Cool
graemeken
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Musicman Stingray's are great basses. So are their Bongo basses too, although they are on the expensive side.