ottawa-metal.com Forum Index

<  Gear Talk  ~  i need an opinion on cymbals

scotty
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
i use a 2 cymbal (or 3 if you include hi hats) setup. i use rides for crashes only because i can't really find crashes to suit my needs. i need loud, resonating and tough cymbals. i play in alaskan and biipiigwan, to give you an idea of exactly what i play. mostly doom/drone/post-metal.

my left crash (or high crash) is an older 22" zildjian ride. no badge so i can't confirm what it is exactly. it's perfect.

i'm having a hard time finding a large ride (or crash) cymbal to use as a lower sounding right-hand side cymbal. well, i've found two great sounding cymbals; 24" zildjian medium ride and 24" sabian apx ride. unfortunately, i keep cracking them.

can you guys suggest something in the $300 range that would suit my needs? i prefer the feel of 24" and 26" cymbals, but am open to 22" suggestions.

thanks very much.
memnoch
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
That's really weird.

Can't you go to Long and McQuade and try out a bunch of cymbals? My drummer has done that. Steve's might let you do the same thing.

"The precision of my flows in terms of tone and diction
Is akin to that of the old masters of prose and fiction."
the
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Take a look at Sabians signature crash rides. I got one about 3-4 years ago and it was absolutely amazing (still have it kicking around for the day I do a rock project).

And as noted already, go to Steves/Long & McQuade or wherever you dig and just sit around checking out a bunch.

I specify Sabian and the signature series because I find you get the best bang for your buck. That and I just find Sabian to have the best quality cymbals out there, as well as an amazing warranty.

Accursed Spawn
http://www.facebook.com/accursedspawn

Mortor
http://www.facebook.com/mortormetal
Metaldad
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Sabian does have the best warranty at 2 years no questions asked but the quality, construction, metallurgy is exactly the same as Zildjian. In fact the owner of Zildjian and the owner of Sabain are the Zildjian brothers. The Sabian plant is an old Zildjian facility.

I'm not loving the APX line but I don't really like any B8 cymbals. I guess you could look at the Z Customs (entry level B20 alloy 20% tin vs. 8%) as well. These are a fucking loud, cutting and heavy weight line that will take a beating but give your arms a workout in the process.
Metaldad
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
The big ass Paiste RUDE line might fit the bill as well but maybe a little over budget.
cursed earth
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing drums for 15 years and I've never once broken a cymbal that wasn't already cracked.

Some people use rides as crashes. It makes for a very loud and sustained crash which is why in certain instances i'll crash my ride. They are tough as fuck. I could see that working out for a band like Alaskan.

Last edited by cursed earth on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
scotty
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
i was researching this: paiste 2002 24" crash
seems promising...a bit out of budget though. anyone used this?

the issue with going to music stores to test is they typically have very few larger sized cymbals. i'll probably have to take a walk into the stores to take a good look though.

thanks for the heads up on the signature series...i'll take a look. i've heard the same about the vault series of cymbals...a good bang for your buck.

keep the suggestions coming guys, thanks.
the
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
man I see Paiste 2002's all the time for re-sale. I don't know if this means they're bad cymbals, but regardless if that's what you're interested to, keep a keen eye on Dave's Drum Shop, as well as the usual usedottawa/kijiji/etc suspects.

Accursed Spawn

Mortor
memnoch
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
My drummer uses Sabian Signature everything and is quite pleased. He likes the 'light' ones for their sound, unfortunately he ends up cracking them quite often. Check out some of the heavier models, you might find something you like.

"The precision of my flows in terms of tone and diction
Is akin to that of the old masters of prose and fiction."
ogdeathgrind
Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Oct 2008 Posts: 2337 Location: http://ogdg.proboards.com
scotty wrote:
i use a 2 cymbal (or 3 if you include hi hats) setup. i use rides for crashes only because i can't really find crashes to suit my needs. i need loud, resonating and tough cymbals. i play in alaskan and biipiigwan, to give you an idea of exactly what i play. mostly doom/drone/post-metal.

my left crash (or high crash) is an older 22" zildjian ride. no badge so i can't confirm what it is exactly. it's perfect.

i'm having a hard time finding a large ride (or crash) cymbal to use as a lower sounding right-hand side cymbal. well, i've found two great sounding cymbals; 24" zildjian medium ride and 24" sabian apx ride. unfortunately, i keep cracking them.

can you guys suggest something in the $300 range that would suit my needs? i prefer the feel of 24" and 26" cymbals, but am open to 22" suggestions.

thanks very much.

Dave Grohl used some big ass (in size and sound) cymbals.
QOTSA:
"Zildjian A series mastersound hihats 15inch
Zildjian A series medium ride (either 22 or 24inch)
Paiste 2002 powercrashes, 19 and 20inch

But sometimes he also went with a Paiste 2002 ride and Zildjian A crashes. "

I'd also read up on this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zildjian
There's a good description of each type. Zildjian is the way to go for that BIG sound. Paiste is generally brighter and more crisp. I prefer Paiste, but Zildjian is probably better suited for the sound you are trying to achieve imo.
scotty
Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
again, thanks everyone. really good info here!

og, i'm going to check out the a series medium ride for sure.
BleedMetal
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
http://www.paiste.com/

Paiste is the way to go if you can afford it. Go to L&M and jam it out and find the right fit.
carnada
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
the problem is....u are buying zildjians and sabians.

Get a 19 inch paiste rude crash and some sort of paiste 2002 full crash and you will not complain for the rest of your life
the
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
carnada wrote:
the problem is....u are buying zildjians and sabians.

Get a 19 inch paiste rude crash and some sort of paiste 2002 full crash and you will not complain for the rest of your life

except your bank account may Razz

Accursed Spawn

Mortor
tormentinfire
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Resident troll Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 5005 Location: East Germany
I'd be really shocked if those were the cymbals the Iron Maiden guy uses.