ottawa-metal.com Forum Index
Author Message

<  Gear Talk  ~  Floyd Rose

Sludge
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Nov 2008 Posts: 95 Location: South Side
Can anyone do a PRO set up on one of these bitches?
-Not a shop, they never get it right.

_________________
OBDURACY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
kamanda
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Oct 2008 Posts: 519
Depends what you need done...I can do pretty much anything except sharpen the knife edges (pivot points) I own 3 axes with Floyds. What type of floyd is it? I have experience with OFR, FRII, and Schaller made Jackson Floyds.

Shops usually hate working on floyds...which accounts for the shoddy job.

_________________
Fuckin' Metal
View user's profile Send private message
tormentinfire
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Resident troll Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 5005 Location: East Germany
It's not rocket science. Google it and do it yourself.
View user's profile Send private message
Sludge
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Nov 2008 Posts: 95 Location: South Side
kamanda wrote:
Depends what you need done...I can do pretty much anything except sharpen the knife edges (pivot points) I own 3 axes with Floyds. What type of floyd is it? I have experience with OFR, FRII, and Schaller made Jackson Floyds.

Shops usually hate working on floyds...which accounts for the shoddy job.



Just need a good set up, again..
Original Floyd Rose on My Warbeast NJ DLX
Looks like this:

_________________
OBDURACY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sludge
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Nov 2008 Posts: 95 Location: South Side
tormentinfire wrote:
It's not rocket science. Google it and do it yourself.


Funniest thing I heard all day..

_________________
OBDURACY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Bro Sizlack
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Jun 2011 Posts: 524 Location: 'The Drive' East Van
Sludge wrote:
tormentinfire wrote:
It's not rocket science. Google it and do it yourself.


Funniest thing I heard all day..


Or saddest?

_________________
"My cup runneth over with blood and not wine."

View user's profile Send private message
devolved
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2007 Posts: 473 Location: Ottawa
there's lots of god vids on youtube..

this guy has some cool tricks that make it a lot easier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEyg_sEACdE

_________________
Listen to CRIES OF WAR @

http://www.reverbnation.com/joethrashermetal

Joe Thrasher Merch
http://joethrasher.ifmerch.com

Joe Thrasher News, Music, Videos and more
http://www.facebook.com/joethrasher
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sludge
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Nov 2008 Posts: 95 Location: South Side
devolved wrote:
there's lots of god vids on youtube..

this guy has some cool tricks that make it a lot easier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEyg_sEACdE



Decent, did you upgrade and get a Big Block?

_________________
OBDURACY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
kamanda
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Oct 2008 Posts: 519
OFR's are the easiest to work on, and if you have a couple special tools you can make your life a lot easier too. I have one that makes setting intonation a breeze.

To be honest, the best way to learn is to screw around with it...It may take you weeks to get it the way you want, but at least you know YOU got 'er. And if ya run into trouble you know where I am!

And just as a side note: The hardest thing to do on those is set intonation, and do yourself a favour and ALWAYS set it with NEW strings...you could move old strings all day and not see a thing happen (learned this the hard way years ago).

_________________
Fuckin' Metal
View user's profile Send private message
tormentinfire
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
Resident troll Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 5005 Location: East Germany
kamanda wrote:
OFR's are the easiest to work on, and if you have a couple special tools you can make your life a lot easier too. I have one that makes setting intonation a breeze.

To be honest, the best way to learn is to screw around with it...It may take you weeks to get it the way you want, but at least you know YOU got 'er. And if ya run into trouble you know where I am!

And just as a side note: The hardest thing to do on those is set intonation, and do yourself a favour and ALWAYS set it with NEW strings...you could move old strings all day and not see a thing happen (learned this the hard way years ago).


No, no, no. Floyds are incomprehensible technology that only a nuclear physicist could understand.
View user's profile Send private message
kamanda
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Oct 2008 Posts: 519
hahah while being difficult you bring up a good point:

Most shops act as if Floyds are the most difficult thing to figure out. Go in and tell them you have a Floyd, watch their face drop and the price double. Isn't it your job to fix guitars? Just another reason why I do all the work myself unless it contains routing.
I understand a little surcharge as it does take a little longer...but pay attention to how most of them will actually be annoyed...like fuck, I'll take your job and fix Floyds all day.

_________________
Fuckin' Metal
View user's profile Send private message
Fingerz
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Jun 2011 Posts: 4 Location: Brockville, Ontario
Sludge wrote:
Can anyone do a PRO set up on one of these bitches?
-Not a shop, they never get it right.
It is all about string tension the low tunings like drop c use 4 springs. For B standard or drop A use 5 springs I found this works i like my strings tight and i use 12-56 and 11-54 guage andmy floyds never go out i have 3 guitars with floyds

_________________
DAN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
carnada
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Mar 2008 Posts: 470
Sludge wrote:
Can anyone do a PRO set up on one of these bitches?
-Not a shop, they never get it right.


Where did you send your guitar?
View user's profile Send private message
WestonInstruments
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Apr 2012 Posts: 4 Location: Ottawa
Hi,

I've setup a little over 5000 guitars to date. I build them and repair them for a living. A floyd rose is an easy setup, it only takes about 5 minutes more than a fixed bridge.

You can find me here: www.ottawaguitarrepair.com

Cheers,

_________________
Ian Weston
Luthier
www.ottawaguitarrepair.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sludge
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Nov 2008 Posts: 95 Location: South Side
carnada wrote:
Sludge wrote:
Can anyone do a PRO set up on one of these bitches?
-Not a shop, they never get it right.


Where did you send your guitar?


Did it myself, videos above have some good tricks.
Specifically; blocking the bridge and tuning back up with screw tightening when setting up a floating Floyd.

_________________
OBDURACY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

Display posts from previous:  

All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Post new topic

Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum