ottawa-metal.com Forum Index

<  Album Reviews  ~  Children of Bodom's- Blooddrunk

metal_dclxvi
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I don't like it. I think that they've gone downhill since Hatecrew Deathroll and that BAM has gotten all of the emos to start liking them/turning them mainstream.

Any opinions?

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2007 Posts: 196 Location: Where X approaches
That band is still going?

Edit: The last album had a song called "Triple Corpse hammer blow" and you think they've gone downhill? "Bodom beach terror"? While I appreciate irony and stupidity I really don't see how they could possibly have found a way to go further down.

Edit Edit: Oh shit - I totally forgot they put out another one after that!

Push it to the limit.
infinity_zero
Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 17 Oct 2007 Posts: 185 Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
I had a listen in the 'Virgin Music Megastore' in Paris (on the Champs Elysee), cos it was one of the cds you could listen to all of in the store, sounded kinda like a softer version of old CoB.

I've never really been a fan of CoB though, so I don't really care.

Quantum Immortality
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BeyondLife
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy this record, they definately have changed their style a bit, and I prefer the older stuff. But I really dont mind listening to this album.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I liked Bodom for about a year after Hate Crew Deathroll, and then I moved on.
Schattenjager
Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I love both Something Wild and Hatebreeder. After that, the albums have a few good songs and that's it. Their newer style on the one after Hate Crew Death Roll wasn't as good. It didn't have the same feeling. I loved the way the band mixed Classical passages with extreme Metal. They did it effectively at the time.

To be honest, it's not really the emo kids' fault nor do I think it influenced the band to go in the direction they went. I mean, they were always bigger in Europe and were always on Spinefarm Records which is a Universal Music subsidiary in Finland.

In a way, it was a great move what Universal Music in North America did, however, they more or less screwed Century Media over. The prices of the albums considerably lowered because of this, also, Universal really pushed Children of Bodom on Much Music by even buying advertisement space and pushing the band on Much Loud. Also, they pushed the band to appear in Guitar magazines which greatly raised their popularity level.

Do take into consideration that emo kids mostly listen to music that is greatly advertised. Ever since Trustkill and Victory Records became big labels, they considerably pushed that scene by getting their bands on bigger tours.

If we look at hardcore / metalcore tours, they're generally less expensive than Metal tours, which attracts more kids because they can see four big bands at a third or fourth of the price of four Metal bands. If we go to the store and check out the Punk section or any Metalcore bands that are on labels such as:

Ferret Music
Trustkill
Victory Records
Prosthetic Records
etc.

Most of the albums are $10-$12 price range, while most Metal albums used to be generally more expensive in the $20 - $30 range. Why not buy three CDs at the price of one Metal CD. It only makes sense. Most likely a big reason why distributors decided to greatly lower the price of Metal albums in order to compete against what the Hardcore / Metalcore labels are doing.

The Punk/Hardcore scene embraces capitalism as much as they speak against it.

Let us not forget about tours such as Warped Tour which features mostly Punk / Hardcore / Emo bands. It's cheap ($35) to see over 40 bands and in Montreal, there's always at least 30 000 people.

They also pushed Metalcore towards the Nu-Metal crowd by having bands such as Unearth, Killswitch Engage on Slipknot tours and Ozzfest.

It only makes sense why in North America, there's a huge market for this kind of music because the scene promotes it extremely well. If we'd have it like Europe and have tons of Open Air festivals that features Metal bands, I'm sure the genre would greatly grow in popularity because not a lot of people like searching far and wide for bands.
pearldrums
Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
...yeah..
tormentinfire
Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Resident troll Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 5005 Location: East Germany
much ado about nothing
darkmetalhead
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2009 Posts: 21 Location: carp/kanata/stittsville
its more of a modernized refined style..i dont like it much
Wirbel
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much agree with the OP. Older stuff like Follow the Reaper, Hatebreeder, and Hate Crew were so much better than their current efforts =\
GoreBag
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 2034 Location: South of Haven/Infernhull
Fuck off.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Resident troll Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 5005 Location: East Germany
It's funny when Follow the Reaper came out, that was their sell out album. Then Hate Crew Deathroll came out and now follow the reaper was "old school CoB" and HCD was the sell out album.

They just keep getting worse and worse and somehow history keeps getting revised to validate every successive shitty release. "In Flames" syndrome.
Buzzopolis
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
tormentinfire wrote:
It's funny when Follow the Reaper came out, that was their sell out album. Then Hate Crew Deathroll came out and now follow the reaper was "old school CoB" and HCD was the sell out album.

They just keep getting worse and worse and somehow history keeps getting revised to validate every successive shitty release. "In Flames" syndrome.

Weren't both those bands just terrible the whole time?
Wirbel
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
tormentinfire wrote:

Only an idiot (ie. someone not into real Melodeath) or a new fan (lol I found In Flames because of Guitar Hero) would honestly compare their recent stuff to the days of Colony, Jester, and Whoracle. Unlike COB where I think people sometimes differ on how/when the sound changed, most knowledgeable Melodeath fans (IF fans or not) know that the band went south with Reroute to Remain.
GoreBag
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Feb 2007 Posts: 2034 Location: South of Haven/Infernhull
I can't tell whether that post was a joke.